H505 Multi-User Error Troubleshoot QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Gold, Diamond, Silver, Platinum
What is QuickBooks Error H505?
“QuickBooks Error H505 is categorized as – “Problem with Multi-user hosting set up”. The general consequence of this error is when you are trying to access your company file on another computer and that computer lacks a certain installation setup. This ends ups with QuickBooks error H505. “
NOTE: This error code is among one of a series of errors involving the Hosting setting, including Error Codes – 6000 82, H101, H202, H303 & H505 that occur due to the same reason. When the user tries approaching the company files in multi-user mode or another computer that does not have a complete installation setup of QuickBooks software.
Causes for QuickBooks Error H505
- When you try to access the company file that is placed on another computer, and the QB software fails to reach the server causes the error H202.
- QB installed in the system [server name] is set up to allow all the shared connections to the company file, but the QB software is unable to communicate causing error H202.
- When you are attempting to open your company file placed on another computer, that requires additional installation and setup for a successful approach causing errors H101, H303, and H505.
- Opening QB Company File failed on the Workstation user while QB setup in multi-user mode.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error H505
Here are the signs and symptoms of QuickBooks multi-user error H505:
- This error occurs and crashes an active program window.
- The system usually crashes when operating similar programs.
- QuickBooks error code H505 itself emerges on the display.
- Windows works slowly.
- Your system freezes repeatedly for many seconds.
Important Facts to Remember
- Inspect that the QuickBooks software is properly installed on the system.
- Also, it’s important to note that this can only be a full QuickBooks desktop version with Database or License Manager hosting.
- This is relevant for installing the QuickBooks application on the server because, without it, you will be unable to use multi-user mode.
- Visit the official QuickBooks website to download QuickBooks.
You should mind the instructions for the server system. It is recommended to sign in to the host server as the system administrator user to run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
Steps To Do Before Fixing QuickBooks Error H505
It is advised to ensure that all the factors mentioned beneath are taken care of. This will assure that further steps are taken to fix the errors without causing any damage to the data or files stored on the device.
- Make sure the company file is backed up.
- Update QuickBooks Desktop to the recent version.
- Operate the Quick Fix My Program option in the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Start QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Configure firewall settings so that it does not hinder the process.
The AccountsPro team provides dedicated QuickBooks Error Support for technical issues, including server setup and multi-user access.
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error H505 – An Expert Guide
This section highlights all the viable methods that can aid in the correction of QuickBooks error H505. We will go through each of these carefully to fix this problem, there are as many of them as this will ensure that the error is completely fixed. So, ensure you follow all the methods sequentially:
Method 1: Using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- Initially, check that QuickBooks Desktop is installed on your server computer and that the network is reachable.
- Once confirmed, download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and run the program on the server. QuickBooks File Doctor can fix multi-user errors and will resolve H-series errors completely free (including QuickBooks error H505).
Method 2: Make a new folder for the company file and allow access to the company file
- Begin by creating a new folder on the hosting computer.
- Once the folder is made, ensure that Windows allows access to the company files.
- Currently, copy the .qbw file to the new folder.
- Finally, go into multi-user mode and open the company file to finish the method.
Method 3: Configure firewall port settings
This error can be overcome by configuring the firewall and protection settings for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Initially, open the Run dialog box by simultaneously pressing the Win + R keys on your keyboard.
- Earlier done, use the Run command to access the Control Panel. For this simply type the command in the run box and press Enter tab.
- In Control Panel, select System and Security.
- Next, open Windows Firewall and Network Protection.
- Now press on the Advanced Settings option and select Inbound Rules. Afterward, choose New Rule.
- Select a port and push the Next tab.
- Double-check if you have selected the correct TCP option.
- Enter the port of the older version of your QB Desktop.
- Once the year code is entered in the relevant field, hit Next and restart QuickBooks Desktop to finish the process.
Method 4: Configure QuickBooks Hosting Settings
When none of the above methods prove effective, assess the QuickBooks hosting settings. The steps involved in this process are listed as follows:
- Initially, reboot the QuickBooks software on both servers.
- Now, start QuickBooks on dual systems that are configured as multi-user.
- Press the File menu and then select the Utility option.
- Turn to host off multi-user access configuration
- Next, turn on Hosts Multi-User Access or Via File in Hosting System, and follow it by entering the utility option.
Verify QuickBooks Services
- Reach the Run box by pressing Win + R keys.
- Type Services.msc in the Windows Search bar.
- Next, scroll down and find the QuickBooksDBXX service in the Services window.
- Double-tap the QuickBooksDBXX service and ensure the Startup is Automatic.
- You require to press the Recovery tab.
- In case of failure, restart the QuickBooksDBXX service manually. Repeat the same if required.
- Press OK to save the changes.
- Repeat the above process for QBCFMonitorService.
- Moving forward, you require to access QuickBooks in multi-user mode on each Influenced digital system.
- The last step requires you to look for the QuickBooksDBXX service. This service is a member of the Administrators group and has acceptable authorizations.
- Launch the QuickBooks software, upon implementation of all the steps contained in this article.
Method 5: Change the system’s firewall settings and create exceptions
- To start, press the Windows key and then go to Control Panel.
- Double-tap on Control Panel and select Firewall Settings.
- The next step needs you to select the option ‘Allow a program through the system’s firewall’.
- Once this is done, press the Add Program option, and involve QuickBooks 20xx in the exceptions list.
- Restart the computer to save the changes.
You will need to add the following ports depending on the version of your QuickBooks software:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363,55367
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368, 55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373, 55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378, 55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8091, XXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8091, XXXX
Method 6: Edit the Hosts file
This method needs you to edit the host’s file by following the steps beneath:
Step 1: Locate the IP address and computer name of the server and workstation
- Initially, tap on the Window + R keys to open the Run box.
- Type cmd and later press the Enter key to access the Command Prompt window.
- Type ipconfig /all and press Enter to run the command.
- Find the hostname in the Windows IP Configuration section. Your server name is on the right.
- The next step is to write the hostname and IP address somewhere. Repeat the process for all systems with a multi-user setup.
Now, go back to your workstation to test the server. The following steps may be technically complicated for you, so we suggest that you consult with your IT professional for assistance.
- Initially, from Workstation navigate to Windows Start Menu.
- Then type Run in the search and open the run command by pressing the enter key.
- Now, type cmd in the Run window, and then follow it with the Enter key.
- Next, type ping [your server name], and then press the Enter key. Do not include parentheses around your server name.
Step 2: Edit Windows Hosts File
Now after the overhead steps, you require to edit the Windows hosts file:
- Initially, close QuickBooks and then go to the Start Menu.
- After that, go to the This PC option and then to the address: C:\Windows\Systems32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.
- If you are unable to locate the Windows folder in the system. You can then follow the steps to view hidden files and folders.
- You have to tap on the View tab and then tap on Hidden Items, after that you will be able to view the hidden files.
- After that, right-tap on the View tab and tap on the Open With the option, and open it with Notepad.
- Next, fill in the IP address and system name. When entering the accurate details, ensure to use the Tab key, instead of using the space bar.
- The final step is to save the changes and then reopen the QuickBooks software in multi-user mode.
Method 7: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the Server from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
If none of the methods perform in your favor, try this one. You can easily download and install QuickBooks Tools Hub by following the steps below:
Step 1: Download and Install QuickBooks Tools Hub on Your Server
- The first step is to close QuickBooks.
- And then, download the QuickBooks Tools Hub file. Follow up by saving the file in an easy-to-remember location.
- After that, open the file you downloaded before (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Once you do, follow the on-screen signals to set up and agree to the terms and conditions. finished
- After that, when the installation is complete, you require to double-tap on the icon on the Windows desktop to open the Tool Hub.
- Please note that if you can’t see the icon, search it for the QuickBooks Tools Hub in Windows and then select Programs.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the Tool Hub program
From the Tools Hub, run Database Server Manager. Follow the trails below:
- The first step needs you to select Network problems from the QuickBooks Tools hub.
- Next, choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If QuickBooks is uninstalled on the server, install it through the on-screen prompt.
- Now select the Start Scan option in the case of the Company Files folder. If they’re not, you’ll require to browse to the location of the company file and then press the Start Scan option.
- Database Server Manager will automatically repair firewall permissions. After the scanning process is finished, be sure to choose Close.
- In the end, open QuickBooks on each workstation you encounter with the problem. And then select the File option in multi-user mode with that switch on. If you get a server system as a workstation, be sure to check that as well.
Method 8: Follow the steps depending on how you host Company Files
Step 1: Host your Network
If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is uninstalled, install Database Server Manager on the server for each version of QuickBooks you are using. The server is the system that hosts the company’s files. After installing Database Server Manager, continue to the section below:
You can set up QuickBooks Database Server Manager in two ways:
- Full program options: You install the full versions of QuickBooks Desktop and Database Server Manager on the server system.
- Server-only options: You install Database Server Manager only on the server system.
Step 2: Host a Network with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2
There are a few steps you need to follow to use Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 for network hosting.
Using QuickBooks Enterprise Hosting
- If you are using QuickBooks Enterprise hosting, you need to contact the professionals immediately.
Using Another Hosting Solution
- If you are using another solution or one of the affiliated Intuit hosting providers, contact them directly to restart the hosting environment.
Method 9: Open the network port that QuickBooks uses to transmit knowledge
Step 1: Configuring the firewall settings
- First, go to Windows Firewall Settings and then right-tap on the Windows option to tap on Control Panel.
- After this, type the firewall in the search bar and also press the Enter key.
- Tap on Windows Firewall and hit the Advanced Settings tab.
- After that, hover to the left and then right-tap on Outbound Rule and select New Rule.
- You have to press on the ports and hit next.
- Now press on TCP and in the Specific regional port, enter the following port:
- For QuickBooks desktop 2015: 8019,56725,55363-55367
- For QuickBooks desktop 2016: 8019,56726,55368-55372
- QuickBooks desktop 2017: 8019,56727,55373-55377
- For QuickBooks desktop 2018: 8019,56728,55378-55382
- Then you have to select Next and press the Allow Connections tab.
- After that click on Next to type the name and also hit Finish
- Also, repeat steps 1-5 for inbound rules.
- The final step is to go into multi-user mode again and open QuickBooks.
Step 2: Turn on Network Discovery
- In the beginning, open Control Panel and then select System and Security.
- And then, click on Windows Firewall.
- Then you need to click on the permit associate app/feature on the windows firewall.
- Also, press the Revision option.
- Now you have to choose Network Discovery and press the OK tab.
Step 3: Find the Server Name
- You have to open the Run command and press Windows key + R and type cmd and click on the Enter key.
- Now, enter config/all and also press Enter.
- This is tracked by looking for the hostname in the IP configuration section.
- Then you will be able to see the server name on the right.
- And you can save it and go to the next step.
Method 10: Check the services on the server
You require to make sure that the QuickBooks services are running on the server system. Steps to Check QuickBooksDBXX. Then repeat them for QBCFMonitorService. Follow these steps:
- The first stage is to open the Windows Start Menu on the server system.
- And then, type run and open the run tab.
- In order, type services.msc in the Run window and then hit the Enter tab.
- Then, locate and double-tap on QuickBooksDBXX in the list. Where XX represents the version of QuickBooks.
- Also, select the Automatic tab for the Startup type.
- Now make sure the service status is running or started. If it isn’t, select the Start tab.
- Followed up by choosing the recovery tab.
- And choose Restart service from each of these drop-down menus.
- First failure
- Second failure
- Subsequent failures
- After that choose the Apply tab and also press the OK tab to save the changes.
- And finally, repeat the steps for QBCFMonitorService.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H505?
Resolutions for the QuickBooks Error H505
1# Create Exception Settings for the Firewall
- Click Start -> Control Panel.
- Click Control Panel -> search Firewall Settings.
- Click Firewall Settings -> Allow a Program through Firewall.
- Click Add Program -> add QuickBooks 20xx to the exception list.
- Then restart your computer to ensure changes are applied correctly.
2# Analyze QuickBooks Hosting Settings
- Open the QuickBooks application on both computers configured as multi-user.
- Click File -> on Utilities ->Stop Hosting Multi-User Configuration
- Turn on Hosting by File in one computer -> Utilities -> Host Multi-User Configuration.
- Restart both QuickBooks once again.
3# Change the Setting of the QuickBooks Folder Location
- Create a new folder on the hosting computer -> shares it -> set Windows access permissions to share company files.
- Copy the .qbw file to the new folder.
- Open your Company file in multi-user mode.
QuickBooks Error H505 On Windows Server
Also, have to check first the connectivity for this they can use Network Diagnostic Tool from the Intuit QB tool list. But several cases were notified by the Accounts Pro team where WIN Server compatibility causes behind, below we are giving all Windows Server & its compatibility
|Lits of Windows Server||Compatibility Check|
|Windows Server 2019||✅ Compatible|
|Windows Server 2016||✅ Compatible|
|Windows Server 2012 R2||✅ Compatible|
|Windows Server 2012||✅ Compatible|
|Windows Server 2008 R2||❗ Less Compatible Soon Expire|
|Windows Server 2008||❗ Less Compatible Soon Expire|
|Windows Server 2003 R2||❌ No Compatible|
|Windows Server 2003||❌ No Compatible|
|Windows 2000||❌ No Compatible|
|Windows NT 4.0||❌ No Compatible|
|Windows NT 3.51||❌ No Compatible|
|Windows NT 3.5||❌ No Compatible|
This Company File Is On Another Computer
Case 1: In a company, QB is both locally & remotely used by the users, user can log in remotely together and works, also they can work parallel in the locally hosted QB. The problem arises when one user logs in to QuickBooks remotely and another one wants to use it locally error comes and says the QB company file is already open in another system and you have to log out first on that location.
Case 2: QuickBooksDBXX services crashed due to some changes in the registry and after scanning the QB system user was unable to find any solutions. Whenever a user wants to log on to Hosted QB Server error message displays “This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.”
QuickBooks Multi User Mode Not Working
User Ofen complains that multiuser mode not working but in some cases, the user either has not installed QuickBooks on a server as an Administrator or forgets to enable multi-user mode. Also, there are a few cases come when the user has not switched to multi-user mode to work. Intuit gives some guidelines to install QB for multi-user mode. In some cases due to damages in the QB company file users can face Error H101, H202, H303, or H505 types of error codes.
Technical Help & Support for Intuit QuickBooks Error H505
When you encounter such an error scenario you can choose alternatively for resolving the error. Accountspro is a trustworthy QuickBooks Consulting Agency that employs highly experienced professionals who are proficient in handling QuickBooks Error H505 along with a series of errors. If you are using any of the QuickBooks versions QB POS, QuickBooks 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, and 2007) on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2003, XP, 2000, and NT, you are accorded with feasible support. If you running an enterprise version then you need to call QuickBooks Enterprise Support for immediate solutions to QuickBooks Error h505.
The support team at Accountspro is very prompt and active and has yet to disappoint any customers. Connect with us 24×7 via the live chat option.
Modern businesses of all industries and sizes are following the trend of employing smart and affordable QuickBooks accounting software to take their business to next level. The software helps in storing all vital business data in a single ‘QBW’ file. Due to unfriendly scenarios at times, the company files get corrupt or damaged. It may be due to various reasons such as virus infection, malfunction of hardware, operating system bugs, etc. that end up in losing access to all the precious information stored in the file.
To recover the problem, you need to report the issue to QuickBooks support Phone Number or a reliable QB consulting company.
Frequently Asked Questions(faq)
How can I fix errors H202 and H505 in QuickBooks?
Error H202 and H505 in QuickBooks indicate a problem with multi-user hosting. To fix these errors, you can try several troubleshooting steps such as checking your network connectivity, disabling your firewall, verifying your hosting settings, and restarting QuickBooks services.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H303
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1-800-983-3087, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
Support – We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud)
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support