Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File
- 1 Sage 50 Cannot Open Company File
- 2 Why Company File Won’t Open Sage 50?
- 3 If Sage 50 is Unable to open the company file on the network. The company file is on the server or another computer.
- 4 Error: “Sage 50 Unable to open the company file.” during or at the end of conversion
- 5 Error: “Cannot open the company file. A required data file is missing” when opening a data file or restoring from backup.
- 6 Error: “Can’t open company file [filename]. The file is currently being used by another application” when opening a data file
- 7 Troubleshooting Sage 50 Unable To Open Company File Error
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions(faqs)
Is the message “Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File” popping up on your screen? You may not find Company File in the directory, so you need to check the path of the company file. Well, for Sage Software, this is one of the most common issues that might occur in your accounting software. If you don’t use the right version of Sage 50, your Company Data File won’t function or open.
Accessing company files is critical for businesses to make informed decisions based on financial data. However, sometimes users encounter an issue where they are unable to open a company file in Sage 50. This issue can cause frustration and delay in financial reporting and decision-making. In this article, we will explore the possible causes and solutions for the issue of Sage 50 being Unable To Open Company Files.
Why Company File Won’t Open Sage 50?
The “Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File” is caused for many reasons: Also let’s connect with Sage 50 Technical Support to learn how & where to keep the company file.
- You must have (.SAJ) or (.SAI) Missing Folder.
- Move Company Files from Another Computer to Shared Folder.
- Another Sage 50 Version/Program is opening the Company File.
- File/Software is infected by Malware or Virus
Before moving ahead, you have to check it out Sage 50 Not Opening After Windows Update to clear cut solutions.
Troubleshoot Sage 50 Activation Failed Issue
Here is what you need to do to fix the error message “Company File” in Sage 50. You need to verify and correct the right version of Sage. To do this:
- Open Notepad and then Open .SAI is in it.
- Now, verify the product version or number. The Version format is of 5-digit code.
- Use the correct version. If it is not the right version, download and install the right version and then open the company file.
Following the above-mentioned steps help you resolve the issue and will bring you back into operation. If it doesn’t solve the Sage Keeps Crashing issue, you need to move to the further steps we are mentioning below.
- You need to check and verify whether the pervasive is online on both systems:
- Workstation Computer
- Standalone Computer
- Now, verify that all standalone systems are connected to the server.
- If your system has an issue due to which you are facing trouble, you need to follow the steps we are mentioning below. The problem may remain if you miss any step or proceed in the wrong way.
- Press and hold the Windows key and then press the R key to open the Run Command in your system.
- You will see the run box on your monitor. Now, enter the command: msc.
- From the available options, you need to scroll to the option “PSQL Workgroup Engine”
- Right-click on it to check whether it is running/stopped. Make sure that it is in running mode.
- Now, make sure that you repeat the same above-mentioned steps on all the standalone computers and even on the server.
If you find it in running mode, there are likely chances of getting the error message again.
If Sage 50 is Unable to open the company file on the network. The company file is on the server or another computer.
- When you try to open the company on the server or another computer, you get an error message from Windows, and Sage 50 Accounting shut down
- Another possible error message is “Cannot find location” and shows the location and name of the file it just tried opening
- You can open a sample company and when you try to open the company from File, Open Company, you get an error message related to TCP
- You are using the Local network to access to Company file and you are not using a hard external Firewall
Causes of sage 50 unable to open the company files on the network
- Windows does not update the mapping for the local network
- Our Sage data is no longer accessible via our mapped drive or through the network following a recent Windows update (Windows 10 version 1803).
- The Homegroup feature has been removed from Windows 10 Update
- On the local mapping, the IP address of the real server is different
Solution of Sage 50 unable to open the company files on the network
Step 1: Verify these first
- Verify that all antivirus and firewalls on the local computer and the server (or on the computer where the data is located) are disabled. (For example “on access” scanner from Windows Defender, McAfee, Norton, etc)
- Make sure all Sage 50 workstations are running the same version
- If the issue persists, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Get the Real IP Address
Note: This process applies to a local area network (LAN)
- You can get the IP address of the server by selecting Start, Run, typing CMD, and pressing Enter.
- To find the IP address of the server, type ipconfig and press Enter
- Select Start, Run on the local computer
- Type in \IPaddress and press Enter
- For example, \10.150.20.170
- Open the company on the server from the Explorer window
- Note: if you can open it without any error messages, you have to fix the mapping on the local computer or create a new drive with the new address
Step 3: Creating or Fixing the mapping on the local Computer
- Choose Map network drive from the right-click menu on My Computer on the Desktop
- Select a drive letter
- Here is an example: Z:
- In the Folder field, type /IP address and click Finish. If you see the old drive listed already, correct the IP address.
- For example, \10.150.20.170
- From Sage 50 Accounting, open the company through the mapped drive
Step 4: Go to the IP address and make sure it works and then going back to the hostname can make it work
- Go to the \ipaddress and confirm the file opens
- Go back via \hostname and confirm the file opens
- Verify that you can reboot and it opens via hostname now
Error: “Sage 50 Unable to open the company file.” during or at the end of conversion
Follow the below-given process to solve the error message “Unable to open the company file.” at the end of or during the conversion process.
- Verify path location
- Verify if the sample company opens
- Verify if the SAJ folder contains duplicate files
- Restore a Backup
- Adjust Anti-virus and Real-Time Scanners
- Disable any VPNs currently running and try again
- Check errorlog.txt file
- Verify that file attributes (no read-only or hidden)
- User Account Control is enabled
- Check Advanced Database Check the log
Error: “Cannot open the company file. A required data file is missing” when opening a data file or restoring from backup.
Read the causes and solutions for Error: “Sage 50 Cannot open the company file. A required data file is missing” when opening a data file or restoring from backup.
- There is no SAI shortcut or SAJ folder or it has been renamed
- The recent version is not installed
- A file is located in an unacceptable synced folder with cloud services such as One Drive, Google Drive, or Dropbox
- Files in the SAJ folder are hidden
- Sage 50 must be updated to the latest version.
- Confirm that the data file location should not be synced to One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or any other cloud file service. If the data is on C:\, transfer the data to the C:\Sage 50 Data. Make a new folder if it does not exist
- It is recommended to perform a malware/spyware scan if this issue occurs consistently when the file is shared via Remote Data Access. Sage also recommends installing a subscription antivirus/anti-spyware suite.
- Verify that no special characters or # signs should be used in the file name.
- Restore the backup using the restore wizard instead of Windows Explorer.
- A recent backup may be needed if the SAI file and SAJ folder are missing after the 2020.1 update
- Make sure the mapped drive connection is active if the file is on the server.
- Verify the sample company
- The icon file (.SAI) or the data folder (.SAJ) is missing
- The icon file (.SAI) and the data folder (.SAJ) don’t have matching names
- The Remote Data Access company is missing files in the SAJ folder
- Verify that the computer that hosts the company data has the Connection Manager installed or the right Connection Manager
- The versions are matching
- Multiple users are accessing the file
- Possible permission issues
- There is a folder with a strange name next to the .SAJ
- Some files in the SAJ folder are hidden
- Files or folders are missing in the .SAJ folder
- Enter the network password
- Ransomware renames the files inside the SAJ folder
- SAJ, mysql, performance schema, and simply folders have the number x(eg.2) in brackets on their folder names
Error: “Can’t open company file [filename]. The file is currently being used by another application” when opening a data file
Some Related Errors:
- When attempting to open a data file, an error message displays saying that the company file [filename] cannot be opened because it is currently being utilized by another application.
- If other users are already working with the company, you can either open it in multi-user mode or wait until they are finished before trying again.
- The system reports that the company file [filename] cannot be opened because another user has either opened it in single-user mode or another program is using the data. Please try again later.
- An error occurs when trying to access the company file ‘C:[Data Path][Company Filename.sai]’. This can happen if another user has opened the file in single-user mode or if some other program is utilizing the data.
- You cannot open a company file over a network when multiple users are trying to access the data simultaneously.
- The file cannot be accessed by multiple users at once.
Resolutions for Sage 50 Unable to Open Company File when the file is currently being used by another application
Method 1: If the file is located on the local computer and nobody is working on it at this time
- Close Sage 50 Accounting.
- Reboot the computer.
- Try opening the file again.
Method 2: If the file was opened in multi-user mode
- Check that the company is not already opened on the Task Bar.
- Verify if other users have opened the company in Single User Mode.
- If another user has opened the company in Single User Mode, locate the machine and ask the user to go to File and switch to Multi-User Mode.
Method 3: If there are issues with the Sage 50 Accounting processes
- Close all instances of Sage 50 Accounting on all machines.
- Open the Task Manager on the computer that stores the data.
- Click the Processes tab.
- If there is a button or a checkbox that states Show processes from all users, ensure it is enabled.
- Find the mysqld.exe process and click End Process.
- If using Sage 50 Accounting 2013 or older, look for the process named mysqld-nt.exe.
- Open the SAJ company file folder.
- Manually delete the process.pid file.
- If the problem persists, reboot the computer/server.
Method 4: If the data file is located on the server and you cannot access the server immediately
- Open Explorer.
- Copy the SAJ & SAI files from the server to your desktop as a temporary measure.
- Open the company file located on the desktop.
- If the file does not open, restore the latest backup to the server.
- If the file opens, close the company file and wait until you have access to the server.
- Reboot the server.
- Overwrite the SAJ & SAI files back to the server from the desktop copy.
- Delete the desktop file copy (SAJ & SAI).
Method 5: If the data is located in the My Documents folder, but it is redirected to a server and no Process.pid exists inside the SAJ folder
- Copy the .SAJ folder and .SAI file to the C: drive of your local computer.
- If the file opens in the new location, click File, Save as, and save it back to the original location (i.e., My Documents) with a new file name.
- Delete the .SAJ folder (it may show that the folder cannot be deleted).
- You will not be able to rename the original folder.
Method 6: If the same error message appears when opening the sample company
- Install any pending Windows Updates.
- Reboot the computer.
- If the error persists and the program freezes, check if you have multiple anti-virus programs installed.
- If you have just installed the free Zone Alarm and Anti-virus Protection, remove the Zone Alarm Anti-virus Protection.
- Reboot the computer.
Method 7: If the firewall is blocking the server
- Turn off the Anti-virus on the server.
- Turn off the Firewall on the server.
- Depending on the network configuration, you may need to turn off the above items on the workstations.
Method 8: If the serial number is incorrect
- Click Help, Upgrade your Sage 50 product.
- Confirm the correct serial number is being used.
- Perform the above steps on all computers.
Method 9: User table check
To check the user table, follow these steps:
- Open the company file on your workstation.
- Switch to multi-user mode.
- Open another instance of Sage 50.
- Log in with a second user account on the same company.
- If you’re unable to access the file, it’s likely related to the user table.
- Contact Technical Support for assistance.
- They may recommend performing a password override or evaluating the file for data damage.
Troubleshooting Sage 50 Unable To Open Company File Error
The error is still in your system and there can be multiple reasons behind the error. It is recommended that you connect with Sage Support Team so that they can provide you with all the necessary steps to resolve the error. To reach our Sage technicians, connect to the AccountsPro team; or connect with us via Live Chat Support Sage 50 from the down right corner of the website. Our team is very proficient in handling such issues and errors. You can also drop an Email if you are looking for some sort of information related to Sage and/or any of its version.
Frequently Asked Questions(faqs)
Why won’t my Sage file open?
Right-click the Sage 50 Accounting desktop icon and select Properties. Click the Compatibility tab. Un-check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode. If the option is grayed out, check Change settings for all users at the bottom.
Why is my Sage 50 file not opening?
Causes for the Sage 50 program won’t open
Sage software is running in compatibility mode. The files are installed in the incorrect folder or drive or path. The network drive is not connected. Some files are missing or damaged.
How do I restore a Sage 50 company file?
From the File menu, select Restore. Sage 50 displays the Open Backup File window. Note: You can also access Restore from the System Navigation Center. Enter or select the company backup file from where your Sage 50 backup file is located.
Speak to A Specialist about QuickBooks Software
Headache🥺. Huh, Save time & money with QuickBooks Support 24×7 @ +1-800-983-3087, we provide assistance to those who face problems while using QuickBooks (Support all U.S. & Canada Editions)
Support – We provide solutions for the following QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Accountant, Enterprise, Payroll, Cloud)
- Error Support
- Data Import
- Data Conversion
- Payment Solutions
- Payroll Support
- Data Export
- Software Integration
- QuickBooks Printer Support
- Complete QuickBooks Solutions
- Tax-Related Issues
- Data Damage Recovery
- Installation, Activation Help
- QuickBooks Windows Support